Inquiring Minds

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

S.O.N.G.B.I.R.D....a review

There have been many who have stated that "the game is to be sold, not told", which in most circles is true. But here, I would be remiss if I didn't help build up and only tore down. So, here's my nugget for the day: Some works are to be performed as if you are having an individual conversation with someone...but only using prose...similar to how songs are used in musicals. Dialogue and storyline are moving along, they just happen to be singing it. Your audience should feel as if they are being spoken to individually. This is key for your "performance". There are some who get in front of a mic and sound as if they're reporting the news....and then there are some that don't need one. This brings me to our artist in review, S.O.N.G.B.I.R.D.


Hailing from Georgia (see Jawjuh...Decatur,ATL shawty!!), this sister traveled here on Greyhound. Having taken that trip from 'Skegee many a time, she already had my attention. We found out about this as she addressed the crowd before her set. We found her personable and direct as she asked us to "take off our cool". Having a good personality, being "real", "honest" and "real honest" will definitely get the listener's ear....not to mention bringing a tambourine up to the stage with you.

Stepping away from the stage and literally into the audience to begin her set, she began her first piece with a song, "Fatherless Child". Her take on women who manipulate their children in attempts to manipulate the father was refreshing. Her use of humor, frankness and wordplay kept us engaged. Having never heard her (I had but my memory is not what it used to be), I was impressed. I equate it to a cook who when knowing what ingredients to use, adds a little something not on the page...and its not a regular measure. (see pinch of this..dash of that.) After her testimony of conquering some vices, her next poem was a bit of a slice of life on what it's like to get over getting over. This blues song required a bit of audience participation. Much to my surprise, a willing audience assisted THROUGH THE ENTIRE SONG. We found ourselves laughing at her and then ourselves at how when trying to get past one thing, we often get behind another. She ended which an ode to black love; not about making love or infatuation but appreciation of love and what it takes to stay and remember when times seem against us both.
I spoke briefly with her afterwards and found her to be the same person I had just witnessed on stage. And that, my friends, is The Sound Of a New Generation Believing In Realized Destiny indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment