Inquiring Minds

Saturday, June 4, 2011

STOP THE MADNESS!!!

Do you know what kills me??? When poets, so called HOT TO DEATH ass artist pull out the paper and say "I can't remember none of my pieces..." and then proceeds to attempt to read and as you guessed they jack that all the way up too. I mean damn, first off you probably don't have but one or two poems so why don't you take the time to commit that malarkey to memory it adds so much more professionalism to your presentation. Yet then again if its wack no amount of rehearsing or memorizing is going to assist this Charmin or Angel Soft worthy work come out any easier. It frustrates the hell out of me when new poets get on the mic and proceed to spew an overabundance of one line ad libs just to receive some type of acknowledgement or undue praise from the audience.Leaves me thinking is this a poetry venue or a very bad rap concert?! Yet this poet is not to be upstaged by the one who attempts to foist audience participation pieces and I hate them (the pieces) because I'm desperately trying so hard to focus on when I'm suppose to say whatever asinine phrase you're trying to get me to spit, I'm sorry I meant regurgitate, that I fail to listen to the lyrical content or lack there of in the so called poem that I feel cheated. I mean seriously we did not pay our money to come in and spit your piece for you . Why are working for you this feels like slave labor because now I feel pressured to do it and if I don't everyone around me, so called refined and cultured patrons, are looking at me like "WHY YOU AIN'T BEING SUPPORTIVE, THIS IS HOT TO DEATH (clearly not)!!" I'm thinking well "DAMN" I am still sitting here digesting this muddled mess of audience cadence filled participated lack luster dullness aren't I, so quit your whining and let the Hickory Dickory Dock one liner Jeezy ad lib wanna be crayon scribble on over sized lined tablet copier (because you're no Spoken Word Artist) finish so I can BLINK!!!! Look this is almost like playing football people. Any coach worth his salt has reviewed game tape after tape of game footage and has perfected his technique so that his team comes out and wins or at least plays one hell of game. Some of you NEW and OLD poets should do the same, go back and watch some clips of some of the greats that came before you. Watch some clips of some successful not so famous poets, some elders or anyone other than yourself that has style, presentation, technique, interesting subject matter and most of all SKILL . Then perhaps it will assist you into getting out of that vortex of unpoetical sludge and from that point forth helping you to be deemed as A SPOKEN WORD ARTIST and not a sheep or loquacious puppet that resembles The Sandman....seriously time to STOP THE MADNESS!!!!

6 comments:

  1. Ctfu! Thank you Shea, I hate when you are called unsupportie for recongnizing some BS...smh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strong truth burns away the sugary shit of social conformity and peer pressured acceptance of garbage, seriously you better preach this word, I recieve it and will grow from it, this reminds me of our talk at Delmar Lounge, it aint nothing but the truth...

    ReplyDelete
  3. As usual I have been enlightened by your Words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said and its looks good to perform your piece using your memory. Actors cannot be onstage or onscreen with a script in their hand....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peace sis, WHATS POP'N WHATS HAP'NEN WHATS HOT IN THESE STREETS??!!??...LOL

    yeah sis some poets definitely should work on memorizing their Piece's. It adds to the experience and enhance's connectivity for the audience. however, everyone isn't trying to be a 'professional'. some people just write poetry. they dont concern themselves with trying to be super dope on the mic.

    but it doesn't seem like ur talking about them anyway:-) ur talking about the suppose to be "HOT TO DEAF" poets..LOL these poets should cultivate their craft in order to make a large impact with their words. We should definitely holla at these artist and make them aware of the importance of memorization and other techniques that will enhance the impact of their performance.

    good blog sis!!!! Peace and Productivity:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that's ashame but hopefully u keep pulling their cards on this. A good foot up the azz is good every once in a while...

    ReplyDelete